Apricot Chicken

Have you ever cooked something and looked at it and said, "This just doesn't look fabulous!"?  Like something was missing?  Not taste, it tastes fine.  But looks.  Welcome to my dinner tonight.

I love this recipe, but I haven't made it in ages and now I remember what I forgot to get at the store - COLOR.  Seriously, it matters.  Or at least it sure should.  I am not the queen of presentation, and I do not decorate cakes nor make radish roses.  However, I do like a colorful and flavorful pile of food on my table. It's part of the "pleasing the eye" aspect of cooking.  Missed the mark tonight.

Apricot Chicken is a sweet-sour-savory dish.  Chicken, onion, apricot jam, vinegar, mustard, broth, dried apricots.  Other than that bit of orange in the apricots, it's rather beige.  So I'm going to give you a recipe based on what I SHOULD have made, not what my family will be gobbling up in a few minutes.  Suffice it to say, I neglected the peppers.


Apricot Chicken
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups chicken broth
a large handful of dried apricots, snipped into thirds
1 cup apricot jam or preserves

In your largest skillet, heat the olive oil.  Add the chicken and saute for 5-7 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the onion and red and green pepper, saute 5 minutes.  Splash in the vinegar and mustard, simmer for a minute, then add the broth, apricots and jam.  Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until its nice and saucy.  Check for seasoning, I feel like it needs a good bit of salt to counter the sweet and tangy nature of it all.

I'm serving it over Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley, and a big dish of Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Thyme and Olive Oil.  And a Green Salad.  Ok, there's some color.

Least favorite text message from husband:  "Going to be late."  Grrrr..........

Comments

  1. where do you get your chicken breasts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes Costco, or my local health food store if they are on sale. I 'try' to buy organic, but the cost is a bugger, so if I can find some from a smaller operation that runs a clean farm, without the organic label, I try that route. I rarely buy b.s.chix because of cost! Whole chickens or thigh or legs are my usual.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts