Crockpot Asian Beef Roast

Credit is due, and here it is - I absolutely LOVE the blog "A Year of Slow Cooking!"

www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

You gotta go there.  A very funny, creative and clever mom used her crockpot every day for a full year.  By the time she got cranked up, she had more than one going per day.  Recipes poured in, she willingly tried them.  Darn it all if she didn't end up on the tele, and getting a book deal, and such.  Way to go!  Her blog inspired me to start mine, among a few others.

This is her recipe.  The ONLY thing I changed was I served this shredded beef over rice, and I added broccoli at the end of the cooking time.  The sauce is divine.  Divine.

My friend who lives in Singapore teases me when I talk about cooking Asian.  Ok, fine, there's no bugs or eels or dog in my food.  So sue me.  I just happen to love the flavors of soy-ginger-garlic in many different variations and combinations.

I thought of tagging this on to my entry about crockpot roasts, but it's so good I determined it needed an entry all on its own.  Here you go!

Crockpot Asian Beef Roast

One four pound beef roast (I used rump, chuck would be nice, too)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup prepared hoisin sauce
6 tablespoons ketchup
6 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons Chinese 5-spice powder (gotta have this, it's so good!)
6-8 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound broccoli, trimmed and broken into spears*

Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl.  Place the roast in the crockpot, pour the sauce over it all.  Cook on low for 7 hours.  Remove meat from pot, shred it up and return to the pot.  Place broccoli on top of meat and continue to cook on low for an hour.  Serve it right out of the pot on a bed of white or brown rice.

*NOTE:  You could easily substitute sliced carrots for the broccoli if it suits your family better.  Or any veggie for that matter.  Add some chopped bok choy at the end!  Pea pods would be so good, just a bit less cooking time than the broccoli or carrots.

Comments

Popular Posts