Mushroom Tart

My friend Karl wanted to know if I would make and the blog about mushroom tart, something new for the Thanksgiving meal.

Sure, Karl, give me a recipe and I'll make it and report back.

Nope.  No recipe.  "Find it yourself," was the reply, or something like that. 

Sure, Karl.  Whatever you say.




I found my basic recipe over at Fine Cooking.  They are brilliant cooks.  It's a total go-to for any recipe of quality and sure results.  I highly recommend adding their website to your list of favorites.

Here's the link to the original recipe:  http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/mushroom-fontina-tart.aspx

I never say no to fungus. I like all different sorts of mushrooms, from the plain white ones to the super-earthy-meaty ones. Canned mushrooms are gross.

Few changes were made to the recipe.  I thought Gruyere cheese would be better than fontina, so I tried both, dividing the tart in half.  I also added thyme to the mushrooms at the end of the saute - thyme and mushrooms go together famously, in my opinion.  Shallots replaced the garlic.

Gruyere won the taste test among the discerning palates here.  Use whatever cheese you like, but make sure it's nutty, a bit earthy, and not too strong or tangy.

You can also change up the mushroom ratio.  I liked 2 ounces of shiitake, 6 ounces of white button, and 6 ounces of crimini, just like the recipe suggested.  Use your favorites!  Just come up with a pound.

Mushroom Tart

one sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package (Pepperidge Farm works well)
flour for dusting the work surface
1 egg, beaten

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
black pepper

1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

In a skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium heat.  Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook for a couple of minutes.  Sprinkle with the salt and then continue cooking as the liquid is released.  Stir every few minutes until they just start to brown and the moisture is mostly gone, about 5-7 minutes.  stir in the parsley, thyme, and pepper, and taste to see if it needs additional salt.  Set aside to cool.

Heat oven to 425.  Dust a work surface with the flour.  Roll out the sheet of puff pastry to 10x15 inches.  Leaving a 1 inch border, prick all over with a fork and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Brush the border with the beaten egg.  Bake for 5 minutes until the surface looks mostly dry.  Scatter the mushrooms over the surface, leaving the border.  Bake an additional 10 minutes until the crust looks very golden.  Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 2-3 more minutes.  Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving.

Comments

  1. This sounds so good. I have baked the below mushroom tart several times - a recipe from Moosewood - that is really rich (thanks cream cheese!) with a super flaky tart crust (thanks sour cream!)...fat bomb, i know, but it has that mushroom/thyme thing you like. It's very good and the crust is yummy... i want to make what you made...mmmmmm mushrooms....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, sounds heavenly!
    I agree with you concerning canned mushrooms, and thyme.
    We will be trying this as soon as I gather fresh shrooms and Gruyere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful - some day I will live where there are more than just one type of mushroom!
    Let's have Suzanne make it for the holidays and invite ourselves over :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts