Garden, End of May

Everything is planted.

Tiny seeds are becoming green things poking out of the dirt.  Herbs are flourishing.  The early perennial flowers are blooming.  We've had tons of rain and the green-y-ness factor is running high around here.


Just look at those bright peonies!  I have a jar of them on my table surrounded by green and white hosta leaves.


A part of my herb garden.  The perennial herbs are flourishing and I'm using the in lots of cooking.  Annuals planted are 6 basil, 4 parsley, 1 rosemary, 1 pot of mint, and a mess of nasturtium seeds.


Just to fly in the face of conventional gardening wisdom, I don't get nearly enough sun, but somehow I manage to get a bumper crop of herbs every year.


Morning view of tomato plants.  We put 16 of them in on Sunday, and then Sunday night a whopper severe thunderstorm came flying in.  Sirens, wall clouds, all the good stuff.  The tv said there was potential for 2 inch  hail and I thought of my tomato plants.  My teenage son wisely said "better now than in August when they are loaded with tomatoes."  Exactly.  Thankfully, our hail was only pea-sized and the garden did fine.  Buckets of rain, but that's not the end of the world.


Hello bush beans.  Lots and lots of them.  Rows and rows.

The final tally for veggies is carrots, radishes, zucchini, tomatoes, bush beans, cucumbers, lettuce and a whole bunch of zinnias.  Now we trust that the sun and the rain and the soil and the heat do their job to provide us with a summer and fall of yummy fresh goodness.

How's your garden coming along?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts